So I've always wondered why it is that I don't date guys my own age. Originally I thought it was because I was so much taller than them (I was over 5 ft in 5th grade). Then I was just awkward and a little nerdy, maybe edging on alternative (thanks Lauren). In high school I was dating someone older, and by the time we broke up, I just lost interest. No offense to the boys, there were some nice ones, but I was just on a different level than they were. My interests and cares were far beyond theirs. I cared about getting out of Concord, of traveling the world. I knew the joys of eating great food and fine wine. I would rather read a book then go see the Hangover.
And then I got to college. And I figured that things would be different. Everyone here would be working towards that bright and shiny future, full of a great job and good times. People would definitely do their fair share of goofing off and partying, but I figured I'd meet that person who wanted to grab drinks and talk or get coffee. And freshman year went by, nothing. Sophomore year started and I just gave up. Silly frat guys, girl crazy jocks, awkward other guys. I pretty much figured that there was no way I was ever going to meet someone here. And then the semester ended...
And I met someone. A very nice, incredibly smart, handsome, polite, and pretty interesting guy. Our first date, we got drinks and just talked, for several hours. Then our second date we rented a movie (Crazy Stupid Love) and had wine and cheese. And then it hit me. This is the kind of dating I like. I just want to drink a little wine and cook some food, talk, laugh. It all comes so easily to me and it seems natural and comfortable. This is the kind of dating that I've wanted all of these years.
I've often been called an old soul. I'm someone who is beyond my age. It's not how I try to be, but it's just how I've always been. I'm okay with comfort, tranquility, the finer things in life, but adventurous in a thrill seeking sort of way. Well I found someone who likes those things too. The guy, who so perfectly fit what I wanted for a date, is 34. He is a grad student, getting his PhD in psychology. Yet, I'm amazingly okay with it. I like what we do when we spend time together. Even my friends aren't surprised. Some of them even expected it. My parents, don't know. My dad will hate it. My mom would be okay with it, if it was serious. But it seems weird, not to tell her. Yet, I think it's best to wait.
For the time being, I'm happy. This is a good step back into the world of dating. Wish me luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment